IFSA - SUMMER IN MEXICO
WHY STUDY IN MÉRIDA
The capital and largest city of the Yucatán, Mérida lies in sharp contrast to many Americans’ stereotypes about Mexican cities. The city is compact and tranquil, yet also a cosmopolitan center of culture in southern Mexico. Only 20 minutes from the coast, Mérida is famed for having a relaxed attitude, and safe and student- friendly atmosphere. Early Spanish architecture adds to Mérida’s beauty and personifies the city’s long history, while a thriving Mayan influence shows in the local language and dress. In your spare time, take advantage of free evening concerts and Mérida’s exciting nightlife.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
One of the Yucatán’s most charming cities, Mérida basks in 300 days of sunshine a year. Full of Mayan and Spanish influences, it’s a fascinating place to explore cultural hallmarks as you flex your academic muscles.
This region may have deep ancient roots, but today’s culture is equally fascinating. Find out how as you explore Mayan migration, Yucatán tourism, politics, and more (taught in Spanish). You could also tease apart the impact of increasingly diverse communities on public and private health care in different settings, complete with visits to area clinics (taught in English; no Spanish language experience required).
Come for one four-week session or maximize your Mexico experience by taking both classes back to back.
Session 1 Class
Session 2 Class
- Identity and Culture in Contemporary Yucatán
- Contemporary Issues in Public Health in the Yucatán
Please visit Summer in Mexico
for complete class descriptions and syllabi.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. They are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. Activities vary each term based on availability, but previous events have included:
- Mérida City Tour
- Historic Landmarks Outing
- Market Visit
- Mayan World Museum and Biciruta (Mérida en Domingo) Tour
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. Excursions vary each term based on availability.
- Chichen Itzá and Yodkzonot Trip: Just an hour from Mérida is Chichén Itzá, one of the world’s seven wonders and one of the most visited places in all Mexico. This excursion includes a visit to the extraordinary Yodkzonot cenote, a community-based tourism project where you’ll learn to prepare a typical dish of Mexican cuisine.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
||BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s Global Wayfinder tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study. Consider aspects such as your day-to-day living experience or your interests to find your ideal program.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising